Sunday, July 29, 2012

Library Routines (criss cross applesauce)

Hi friends!

Are you getting ready to start the BEST YEAR EVER in your school library? Me, too! The end of summer is a time of high hopes and plenty of planning. I'm rounding up the resources I want to add into our back-to-school mix as we establish routines to help the year run more smoothly.

I just found this cool song that I am definitely gonna use with kinder and first grade when we sit down for story time.



Do you love it? I do! Now I've got to play it a hundred times so that I can memorize it!

What are your school library songs and routines? Share your best here, so we can help each other!



7 comments:

  1. I have away used just the first of line of the song.
    I think I will do the same... and have the kids learn it too. So much fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bibliocat, I think it's important to have fun in our libraries! Reading and learning are FUN!

      Delete
  2. I'm implementing centers in my library, I read your book. I'm wondering how you introduced this to teachers and students? I need to wrap my head around training them!!!
    I love your blog!
    Susan.wilder@rockwallisd.org

    I'm off to school---after my pedicure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Thanks for stopping by. You definitely have your priorities straight--happy feet are essential for our job in the school library! :D
      The beginning of the school year is a great time to start centers. Stop by the grade level meetings before school starts, and tell the teachers what you have in mind. Tell them that you'll have learning centers set up for the students to participate in after they've checked out their books. Introduce the centers to students during your library orientation lesson at the beginning of the year. Remind them to check out their books first, then they can participate in a center. Start out with simple centers like puzzle and listening center as the students learn your expectations about noise level, etc.
      I hope you have a marvelous school year. Let me know how it goes with your library centers!

      Delete
    2. CARI, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!

      Delete
  3. Using when we return to school. January is also a great time to introduce new items - ie - THERE WILL BE CENTERS, TOO!!! Mrs. Crook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! That is a great idea, Mrs. Crook! January is a super time to introduce something new like library centers. Let me know how it goes!
      Cari

      Delete