Sunday, May 6, 2012

LibGuides

Hi friends!

I've been talking about research projects lately, and how I use our LibGuides to post resources for teachers and students. One of our blog-following friends asked to see my LibGuide, so here's the link:
Fox Run LibGuides.

It looks like this:



I know it's hard to see much from this graphic. You'll get a better look at it when you follow the link.

I first looked into LibGuides when I attended a presentation at the Texas Library Association conference and the awesome librarians from Leander ISD said that if they could buy only one thing for their libraries, they would buy LibGuides. Wow! Quite an endorsement.

I like the look of LibGuides. It's very graphic and colorful. I can embed videos like book trailers or instructional videos that I create. I can add links to websites. I can include documents, like the rubric or note-taking guide for a project.

I really, REALLY like the collaboration possible with LibGuides. To start your own LibGuide, instead of staring at a blank screen, trying to think of what you want to put on there, you can search existing LibGuides, find a great one, ask permission, and copy it. Then, all you have to do is tweak it to make it your own, with links to your school's databases and resources and whatever else you want to add.

There's a whole community in LibGuides to share ideas with. Plus, you can collaborate with librarians in your district to create content, instead of everyone having to reinvent the wheel for every single project!

I think it cost around $500 for a year's subscription (I don't remember exactly how much). For me it has been well worth it. 

Do any of you use LibGuides, or something similar? 










2 comments:

  1. LOVE your summer bookmarks!!! So cute, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Kindergarten! I love having fun bookmarks to share with my students!

      Delete