Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Perfect Nest (with depth and complexity)

Friends,
Have you read The Perfect Nest by Catherine Friend? Oh, my goodness! What fun I had last week sharing this book with our kindergarten classes! We giggled together at the birds and their foreign accents.


I'm going to share this book with my group of high achieving first graders, and I've created activities to add depth and complexity to our study. The activities are available for download from my TPT shop. These learning responses view the story from multiple disciplines and perspectives.

If you want to try out one of the activities, check out my free printable Perfect Nest activity.

At our school, several classes have incubators full of eggs, and we hear more "peeps" every day.  It's so amazing to watch the chicks struggle into this world, pecking, peeping, and breathing hard. The Perfect Nest is a funny, but ultimately heart-warming book that is just perfect for springtime.

I hope you have the chance to share it with YOUR students!






4 comments:

  1. LOVE this story. It is one of my favorite read-alouds. So much fun to do the different voices of the different birds ... I especially have fun with the French voice. I think that I will have to pull this off my shelf and dust if off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my new favorites. I can't believe I haven't read it before! All of the little kindergarteners were saying "Caramba!" on their way out of the library! Too funny!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, thanks for sharing! I love that elem librarians are starting to share their great resources on TeachersPayTeachers. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love collaborating, whether it's in my building or long distance!

      Delete